How can you adapt my home to support independent living?

We know that more of you need your homes adapted to help you stay independent at home and to support your health and well-being.

We have an in-house Occupational Therapist who can assess tenants’ medical needs and recommend the adaptations needed in homes.

There are two types of adaptation work we can carry out

Minor work (funded by GCH)

May include:

  • Grab bars
  • Lever taps
  • Additional stair rails
  • Handrails
  • Lowered light switches
  • Raised electric sockets
  • Specialist smoke alarms

Major work (Possible part-funding by GCH up to £1,000 and topped up with a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG))

May include:

  • Stairlifts
  • Over bath showers
  • Replacing baths with showers
  • Ramps
  • Vehicle hard standings
  • Widened doors
  • Ceiling tracks
  • Mobility standard kitchens
  • Extra WC/wash facilities and pods
  • Adapted homes

There are certain circumstances where an adaptation to your property may not be suitable, for example putting in a level access shower in a 2nd-floor flat or the property construction means that it cannot be adapted. In these cases, we will discuss with you the alternative options.

If you think this type of work could help you please contact us.