Shared ownership schemes are provided through housing associations and allow you to buy a share (25% to 75% of the home’s value) and pay a small rent on the remaining share.
You’ll need to take out a mortgage or use savings to pay for your share of the home’s purchase price.
All applicants must be registered on the Help to Buy South website, which can be accessed by clicking this link.
Benefits of Shared Ownership
- Allows more people to own a home, when they probably couldn’t otherwise.
- The overall cost per month is cheaper than paying a full mortgage.
You can own the amount that suits you from 25% – 75% depending on the money you have available.
Can you afford the property?
You need to work out what you can afford to pay for a mortgage and rent per month in advance. You should ask yourself the following:
- Are you in a permanent job, and is it reasonably secure?
- Do you earn enough to pay off the mortgage, rent and any other responsibilities that you have?
- Would you be able to meet any increases in your monthly payments if mortgage interest rates and your rent were to go up?
- How much will you have to pay for your legal fees, disconnection and re-connection charges and removal costs?
- How would you pay your rent or mortgage if you were unable to work?
- Are there any hidden costs that you are unaware of?
Buying a property is a serious financial undertaking and anyone considering Shared Ownership should seek professional financial advice.
Future Shared Ownership Homes
We are also building many more properties for Shared Ownership in Gloucester and the surrounding areas. Please register and set up new property alerts with Help to Buy South by visiting their website by clicking this link.