Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that has replaced the majority of new claims for Housing benefit, Child Tax Credit, Income support, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income-related Employment and Support Allowance for those of working age.
Your Universal Credit is:
- A single payment each month which is paid in arrears.
- Currently for working age people only.
- For both working and non-working households.
- Claimed and managed online.
- Paid a minimum of 5 weeks after you make your claim (and your previous benefits will only continue for 2 weeks after you have made your claim).
If in doubt, check your circumstances
Not everyone needs to move onto Universal Credit yet and the government continues to make changes to the system. For more information, please visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit
If you are moving on to UC it can be a confusing and difficult time but you are not alone, we can help. Our friendly Tenancy Sustainment Team can help you to make and manage your claim online.
Help to get online
For anyone needing help with getting online or basic computer skills, please visit our Tenant Training & Support page.
Key things to remember
- It is important that you make your application as soon as possible as your claim will only start from the date your application is submitted and will not be backdated.
- Please notify us as your landlord when you have made a claim for Universal Credit.
- You will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support with the council.