Housing officers are responsible for a particular estate or group of properties. The role involves supporting tenants and encouraging them to take part in our tenant panel that help shape the community in which they live.
This job would typically include:
- assessing the needs of people applying for housing
- allocating vacant accommodation
- carrying out regular inspections to make sure all properties are in a good state of repair
- dealing with anti-social behaviour and broken tenancy agreements
- referring tenants to appropriate sources of benefits and welfare advice
- setting rents and dealing with payments and arrears
- arranging for legal action to be taken where necessary
- gathering statistical information and preparing reports
- attending tenants’ meetings
This role would involve working closely with other agencies, such as social services departments and welfare rights organisations.