Why work for GCH
Without great people, GCH cannot deliver the highly valued and consistent services we provide to our tenants. Our employees are the heartbeat of the organisation and lie at the heart of our success. We want our teams to be innovative and creative, embrace change and be confident to take risks and learn from failures. We want people with passion and determination.
We put our employees first and empower them; working on the principle that the strength of the team is each individual member and the strength of each member is the team. In return, we offer great rewards to ensure our on-going success.
GCH are absolutely committed to developing and training our employees to become the best. We also provide a range of professional and technical qualifications to meet our core business objectives.
We offer a comprehensive package of employee benefits, including:
- competitive benchmarked salaries.
- pension options with competitive employer contributions.
- cashback healthcare scheme and employee assistance programme.
- competitive holiday entitlement.
- sickness benefit which is enhanced for most beyond statutory sick pay.
- family-friendly benefits including enhanced maternity leave and pay packages; parental and paternity leave and a childcare voucher scheme.
- a health and wellbeing programme.
- free tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
- weekly supplies of fresh fruit
- Find out if we have any current vacancies so that you can come and join us.
Reasons to work for GCH
We are a community benefit society which means that any surplus we make from any commercial activities or savings is directly invested back into the organisation to maintain core services and provide more affordable homes in line with our strategic aims and social objectives. This is very important to us as we are not for profit organisation making a significant difference to people’s lives and their life chances.
GCH has a fantastic track record of success since we went live as an Arm’s Length Management Organisation in December 2005. We became an Independent Housing Association in March 2015 with a remit to build new homes and invest around £250 million over the next 30 years in our tenant’s homes and services.
Here are just a few of the many reasons why we believe that you would love working for GCH:
- We work in a modern office in the heart of the City close to the newly regenerated Gloucester Quay’s
- We offer a flexible approach to working styles and work-life balance, including options to use our flexi-time scheme and agile working policies.
- We run employee engagement initiatives and a reward scheme to recognise team contributions to our strategic objectives.
- We believe in having fun to;o with social events including summer barbecues, a number of fun days, charitable events and also a range of health and wellbeing events throughout the year.
GCH took part on the “wear your hat” to work day to support brain tumour research in March 2017.
- We ensure that that there are regular briefings with all staff so that everyone knows what is going on. For example, there is a monthly briefing with the Chief Executive and there are also feedback sessions where our staff tell us what is good and what could be improved in the organisation. These usually come with cakes and doughnuts.
- We celebrate success; providing extra leave, lunches and shopping hours at Christmas if we have done really well
- In 2016 we launched our ‘Community Action Day’ where staff have the opportunity to support community projects.
- We support job opportunities through work placements traineeships, apprenticeships and through continuous training and various professional development opportunities. GCH has its own external learning academy called SHINE
- We deliver an Annual Staff Conference which celebrates our success and outlines our future vision
Proud of our Achievements
Highly valued and trusted by our employees and tenants, GCH has achieved a range of external awards:
- Being awarded the prestigious Investors in People Gold Award for people and performance management in 2010; 2013 and again in April 2016.
This recognises our commitment to developing and supporting our staff through strong and effective leadership. Only 7% of organisations have IIP Gold accreditation.
Being recognised by the Sunday Times as one of the Top 100 not-for-profit companies in the country in 2013 and 2016. At the award ceremony in February 2016, GCH learnt that it was ranked at number 58, 8 places higher than 2013.
GCH will see how we fare in 2018
A very highly scored Customer Service Excellence
- award from the Government.
- Securing the British Standards Institute ISO 9001:2008 standard for quality management systems since 2007 and re-accredited in March 2017
GCH has a strong ethical approach underpinned by four core values to support inclusivity for our tenants and the City as a whole. These are Pride, Quality, Integrity and Innovation
We are respected as a local provider in supporting asset-based approaches to create stronger, sustainable communities. We work with our tenants and partners to ensure diversity is valued and respected in such a way that builds strength and unity in everything we do; recognised by:
- Equality Framework for Social Housing
- Diversity Champions Status
- Stonewall Champion Status
Find out if we have any current vacancies so that you can come and join us.
How to apply
All our current job opportunities are listed on our ‘Vacancies’ page. If you are interested in applying for a role, you can register and apply online. It’s that easy! You are, of course, welcome to contact us for further information about a specific position, or if you want to chat about working for GCH in general. Alternatively, you can go straight ahead and submit your application online.
We aim to reduce unnecessary paperwork where we can and, for this reason, we no longer accept paper applications. However, if this causes you difficulties in applying for our positions, please do contact us to discuss how we may be able to help.
As soon as the closing date has passed, we will review the applications received, draw up a shortlist of candidates to interview and contact them with the interview date, time, location and format.
We will also let all unsuccessful applicants know the outcome of their application, too.
The selection process could take different forms and may include a practical assessment, presentation, psychometric test or a second interview. You may also be required to provide copies of professional certificates.
If successful, you will be contacted with a verbal offer and to discuss terms and conditions and a start date. References will also be taken up. Assuming all goes well, we will follow this with a formal offer letter, contract and ‘new starter pack’ by post or email.
As soon as the position has been accepted, all the unsuccessful candidates will be notified.