Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that has replaced the majority of new claims for Housing benefit, Child Tax Credit, Income support, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income-related Employment and Support Allowance for those of working age.
Universal Credit is:
• A single payment each month which is paid in arrears
• Currently for working age people only
• For both working and non-working households
• Claimed and managed online
• Paid a minimum of 5 weeks after you make your claim
If in doubt – check your circumstances!
Not everyone needs to move onto Universal Credit yet and the government continues to make changes to the system. For more information, please see www.gov.uk/universal-credit
If you are moving on to Universal Credit it can be a confusing and difficult time but you are not alone! GCH can help.
Our friendly Tenancy Sustainment Team can help you to make and manage your claim online. If you would like to speak to the team they are also based at our main office (Railway House) every day between 10am and 4pm and also at Gloucester Job Centre Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 10am – 5pm no appointment necessary. You can also email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to arrange an appointment
You can also try our simple online benefit and budgeting calculator here which you can send to the team who can review your finances and provide you with helpful advice.
- It is important that you make your application as soon as possible as your claim will only start from the date your application is submitted and will not be backdated to when your change of circumstances happened.
- Please notify us as your landlord to let us know you have made a claim for Universal Credit.
- You will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support with your Local Authority
Read our leaflet: What is Universal Credit and how will it affect me? (last updated April 2018)
If you have any concerns or questions about your income or benefits please contact our Tenancy Sustainment Team.