GCH are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2019, which is taking place 16th – 22nd September.
Gas Safety Week is to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas appliances.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
The symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning are:
- nausea, collapse
- loss of consciousness.
If you recognise these signs you must act immediately.
Our gas team which are all registered with Gas Safe are fully qualified to undertake these important safety checks to the appliances installed within your homes, however, there are a simple things you can do to keep you and your family safe:
- Allow us access to your home to complete the annual Home Safety Checks of the appliances installed in your home. As a landlord GCH are required by law to check that gas appliances are safe. To allow us to do this you must let us into your property to undertake these essential checks which are for your own safety and for the safety of those around you.
- If you are a leaseholder or shared owner it is your responsibility to check your appliances annually. This is a legal obligation under your lease and you must provide a copy of the certificate to GCH. You must use a Gas Safe registered engineer undertake these checks– GasSafeRegister.co.uk
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
There are some simple things you can do to check your appliances is working correctly, below are a few easy examples:-
- lazy yellow /orange flames instead of crisp blue ones,
- black marks on or around the appliance,
- a pilot light that keeps going out
- too much condensation in the room.
These are just a few, but if you are in any doubt or have concerns please contact our repairs team who will be happy to arrange for one of our qualified engineers to call out and check your appliance.