Calling all EU/EEA and Swiss Tenants – Have you applied for the EU Settlement Scheme?

EU Settlement Scheme image

Why do I need to apply?

Following Brexit, All EU, EEA (EU and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Swiss Citizens who want to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 need to apply for a new immigration status through the EU Settlement Scheme. Our in-house Tenancy Sustainment Team is now registered with the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) and can provide advice to GCH tenants who need help with their application.

The deadline to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme is 30/06/2021

How do I apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is an online process. To apply, you will need a valid identity card or passport, your national insurance number if you have it, an email address and a phone number. If you have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years, you may get permanent leave to remain or ‘settled status’. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you may be granted ‘pre-settled’ status, or temporary leave to remain, which you can later convert to ‘settled’ status once you have lived continuously in the UK for 5 years.

The application ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’, will enable you to scan your identity documents and prove who you are. All your family members, including children and dependent members who are third country citizens (e.g. South African), will need to apply. The status is on-line and you can share it, when asked by an employer for example, through the home office website.

If you already hold Indefinite Leave to Remain, you don’t need to apply but can if you want to. If you hold a Permanent Residency Status, you will need to apply.

What happens if I don't apply?

Applying to the scheme is important and EU, EEA or Swiss citizens failing to do so could risk becoming unlawful residents in the UK, which will impact on their ability to work and access benefits including the NHS.

What happens if I don't apply?

GCH's Tenancy Sustainment Team