What is Shared Ownership?
Shared ownership schemes are provided through housing associations. You buy a share of your home (25% to 75% of the home’s value) and pay rent on the remaining share. You’ll need to take out a mortgage to pay for your share of the home’s purchase price.
Current Shared Ownership Homes
Benefits of Shared Ownership
Can you afford the property?
You need to work out what you can afford to pay for a mortgage and rent per month in advance.
You should ask yourself the following:
- Are you in a permanent job, and is it reasonably secure?
- Do you earn enough to pay off the mortgage, rent and any other responsibilities that you have?
- Would you be able to meet any increases in your monthly payments if mortgage interest rates and your rent were to go up?
- How much will you have to pay for your legal fees, disconnection and re-connection charges and removal costs?
- How would you pay your rent or mortgage if you were unable to work?
- Are there any hidden costs that you are unaware of?
Buying a property is a serious financial undertaking and anyone considering Shared Ownership should seek professional financial advice.
If you are unable to afford shared ownership we have some new properties available through the Rent to Buy scheme which may be more suitable.
Future Shared Ownership Homes
We are also building many more properties for Shared Ownership in Gloucester and the surrounding areas. Register your interest today by contacting Allison at email@example.com or call 0330 124 1285.